Friday, January 22, 2010

My reason for teaching

Not every week is like this one, however, I can't help but share how proud I am today.

Last year I had a boy in my class, who decided to drop out. After several "heart to heart" conversation and even some with his mom, he still dropped out... I felt defeated. This year comes around and I was ask to make a home visit to see if he would re-enroll, still he said he probably wouldn't. As I left school that day I received an email from the principal to go check in the registrars office... he was enrolling! Now it was on, getting him to graduate. Yesterday I received an email saying he had completed all his courses and he asked to walk with my homeroom at graduation! I have been on cloud nine since, what an accomplishment. I take for granted so often when 95% of my students complete the course and graduate... but yesterday I was so happy and proud for him!

Today I received a huge compliment by our principal in an email, and he used a simile (the English teacher in me loved ), he ended by saying, "This is what this profession is all about. Its like sinking a three pointer on the buzzer to win a big game."

It's always nice to be noticed for hard work... but honestly, more than that, this boy is graduated and gets to walk across the stage... something that deserves even more praise!!

OH- and thank you Lord, I was asked to teach an after school course recovery class... and it pays well- any extra money for a wedding and house is nice! It is such a blessing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment